Crashes... :-(

Bier

• Moderators

Since a few days and out of the blue,  ET is crashing on me constantly.
6, 7, 8 times per session, and it sucks balls!

It suspect some Windows update is ruining the fun again...
Anyone running vanilla ET on Windows 10 has the same experience?

• Like 1

• Staff

Is it crashing to desktop?

Or are you getting an error message on crash?

I know when it happens, server side it just says " ets|bier[nl] disconnected "

If it crashes to desktop, is your desktop screen brighter or darker than normal? 

Think you have a AMD graphics card if I recall.  If you had a update for it, I'd roll back to previous driver for AMD card.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, -Silky. said:

Is it crashing to desktop?
Or are you getting an error message on crash?

Think you have a AMD graphics card if I recall.  If you had a update for it, I'd roll back to previous driver for AMD card.

The game just freezes up, and I get my normal desktop mouse cursor.
I then have to close the game by hand to get my desktop back.
Indeed I have an AMD graphics card, but no update was installed lately.

I seem to have some success now by removing Windows Update KB5028951, which was installed a week ago.
Up to now the game is stable again. Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

• Administrators

I crash very barrely, using windows 10 and windows 11

you updated all your windows drivers ?

And I block the windows updates for some weeks. I restart them manually.

When u play is better to don’t have any other programs running.

we never had such problems with other mods we played since September 2004

• Administrators

You don’t are having the problems than Topcat had pas month ? With two many pk3

First thing that comes to mind is a corrupted PK3 file.
You might try using our PK3 cleaner if you haven't already. Download link is https://ets-clan.com/index.php?/files/file/1145-enemy-territory-auto-pk3-cleaner-13/
What this will do is wipe all of your PK3 files (Maps and mods), and force them to redownload fresh copies at the start of every map as required

• Moderators
4 hours ago, kate said:

I crash very barrely, using windows 10 and windows 11

you updated all your windows drivers

My ET also never crashed like this. I tried everything I can think of...

I'll swap my graphics card coming weekend. See if that helps. It's old...

• Staff

And i'm STILL USING WINDOWS 7 and i have NO ISSUES!

I am still getting security updates too! downloading them manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog

i download updates targetting Windows Embedded Standard 7 as that is the exact same codebase as Windows 7 and it gets support until October 2023, after that i may need to see if i can hack up updates from Windows Embedded POSReady 7 and get updates till October 2024.

that should last the rest of the life of my laptop, which isn't expected to be too long as sometimes i have to try multiple times to get it to boot properly since it boots but fails to bring up the screen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, PsychoPappy 4 said:

And i'm STILL USING WINDOWS 7 and i have NO ISSUES!

I know Pappy, but I don't want to / am not allowed to run that OS anymore for insurance reasons, because it's not officially supported anymore... My position at the company demands that, so I reluctantly have to comply.
Here the company liability extends to the private area because I connect to the company network from my home, and also I don't want to run the risk...

7 hours ago, PsychoPappy 4 said:

that should last the rest of the life of my laptop, which isn't expected to be too long as sometimes i have to try multiple times to get it to boot properly since it boots but fails to bring up the screen.

Are you fckn kidding me? That Toshiba laptop is still alive??

• Staff

@Bier Yes this Toshiba is still going after 11¾ years, it'll be 12 years since purchase date on 2 December, 2023

Original date of purchase is 2 December 2011. Still running Windows 7 as my primary OS as well (with pirated esu's).

i use BypassESU which can be downloaded directly from My Digital Life (registration required) which allows installing updates past the EOL dates up until the end of ESU support, but since Windows 7's ESU support ended back in January i now need to get updates manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog that were made for Windows Embedded Standard 7, Until next month.

Then i should try to find the ESU updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 7, which would go until October 2024.