is the Alpha so mights crash ...
uthor : Jason (Conchman) Major
Send comments to: [email protected]
Please be descriptive.
Looking for comments on:
- Gameplay problems.
- Team balancing issues.
- Overall feel of the map.
- Ideas for better gameplay possibilities.
- ANY error with texturing, clipping etc.
Please be descriptive. And of course, please remember that this is my first map.
Game : Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Title : FlakTower
Filename : flaktower(alpha).pk3
Release date : 2003-12-15
Decription : The Humboldthain Flaktower has sustained severe structural damage from an allied covert strike. While their efforts to destroy all of the flak cannons were unsuccessful, they may attack yet again to destroy the two that remain. The axis must hold them off until reinforcements arrive from the lower levels.
Programs : GTKRadiant 1.3.8, GTKRadiant 1.3.12
: Q3map2 2.5.9, Q3map2 2.5.11
Design and Brushwork Time : About three days a week for about 4 months.
Compile time : > 1 hour 30 minutes
Compile machine : P4 2 Ghz, 512mb RAM
Installation : Place the flaktower(alpha).pk3 to your etmain folder, select it from the multiplayer->create server menu.
Textures : I modified some existing ET textures, created some shaders for them and included them with the pk3.
-1 Buildable Escape Hatch barrier to keep out those pesky Allies
-2 Forward Spawnpoint locations (one of which will become permanently Allied after the Security Sidewall is Breached)
-1 Dynamite-able wall that the Axis must defend in order to keep the security doors closed (Hint: There are shortcuts that are not marked on the map.)
-1 Security (Panic) Switch that opens/closes two pairs of heavy steel doors
-1 Health Cabinet
-1 Ammo Cabinet
-1 Neutral Command Post that increases charge speed
-2 Huge Flak Cannons Objectives that Axis must defend from the Allies
-3 Axis Team Door
-1 Neutral Team Door
Advise to any would-be mappers who are starting from scratch
So you wanna map? There are a few things to remember that will help you achieve your goal of mapping greatness.
1) Learn from others. I'm sure there are places where one can take classes in map design. However, nothing beats experience and that is what other mappers have.
2) Get ready to read. Map editors have instructions (lots of them). Fellow mappers write tutorials (some good, some not so good) and some of them are very helpful. Not reading the instructions will cost you time in the end. It may even encourage giving up all together.
3) Backup your files often. especially the .map file. It does not matter how careful you are, things will inevitably go wrong whether through fault or no fault of your own. I always keep a backup of the current .map file and a backup of the most recent backup. And I have had to go to previous backups many times.
4) Backup before you do a brush cleanup. Don't try to play the tough guy. You won't EVER see me crying because of not wanting to backup :)
5) If you really wanna map, play a lot of games too, that helps.
6) Every once in a while stop and ask yourself, "Would I play on this map?"
7) Remember, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."
Special thanks to
Many ppl at SD Forums for your mapping advice, tutorials, and suggestions including but not limited to (sometimes I forget, sorry):
(Not ordered in any particular manner)
*Nemesis: A very thourough vis/hint brush/portal/detail/structural tutorial (No longer available).
*Ifurita: "Map Scripting 4 Newbies" tutorial and "Map In a Box" prefabs.
*sock and djbob: Script mover door tutorial and many SD forum threads
*ydnar: many SD forum threads, Q3map2 goodness.
*Rikard "Drakir" Lindgren: The format for this file :)
*SD: for making a great game (and for releasing goldrush.map to the public).
*Surface Level Editing Shack: Many good tutorials.
*bubba's arena tutorials: http://planetquake.com/bubba/tutorial.html
*http://quake3.qeradiant.com/tutorials.shtml: pretty much ALL of their tutorials. (as far as i can tell, they are no longer available)
Copyright © 2003 Jason (Conchman) Major all rights reserved
I, Jason (Conchman) Major, as the creator of this pk3, assert the following about the usage of this Enemy Territory level:
-This level may be electronically distributed only at
NO CHARGE to the recipient in its current state, MUST include this .txt file. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS THIS LEVEL TO BE DISTRIBUTED ON CD-ROM (or other media) WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION.
-If you use this level you agree that you are using it at your own risk and will not hold the creator liable for any damages caused to your property.
-This level may NOT be CHANGED/MODIFIED IN ANY WAY.