About my Job

PDK

• Ets|Members

hello everyone :)

I had posted on the old site, my job.
my job consists in treating metal parts in a heat treatment + quenching furnace and in a tempering furnace.
I work for nuclear / military / aviation and sometimes for formula 1 / rally ...
all the pieces I do have a minimum 40-year follow-up, so my name too ...
I will take some photos of what I have the right to photograph, to give you an overview of my work.
my furnaces can handle small parts up to 6 meters by 1.50 meters.

From next week I am starting a qualification in NDT Non Destructive Control (magnetoscopy and ultrasound),

so I will be absent for the whole week, maybe a little more.

I will post some pictures of what this profession consists of :)

• Like 4

• Ets|Members
On 9/29/2021 at 2:31 PM, Tutox said:

Wooow your job sounds awesome man, for me instead, i'm a Sociologist, and what I do is basically, make statistical reports of social projects hahaha Your job is wayyyy better

THX Tutox :)

I think your work is as essential as mine, 
we are like the worker ants of a colony, 
so every ants is important.
I also think that the point of view plays a lot in the importance of the work ... 
for example a pure ecologist would see my work negatively for sure.

but yep i love my job

• Moderators

The company I work for is also in the metal business. We import/export welding wires, rods, ceramics and safety items for the metal processing industry like builders, shipyards, manufacurers, etc...

We also offer some annealing equipment for rental, resistance and induction based.
It's a very important process for some manufacturing steps, and with the new high-tech base materials it gets even more important so your future is bright! ;-)
But do I know anything more about metal? No! I run the IT department there.... Hahaha!

And damn! Working for F1! That would look great on my CV too!

• Like 2

• Ets|Members
20 hours ago, Bier said:

The company I work for is also in the metal business. We import/export welding wires, rods, ceramics and safety items for the metal processing industry like builders, shipyards, manufacurers, etc...

We also offer some annealing equipment for rental, resistance and induction based.
It's a very important process for some manufacturing steps, and with the new high-tech base materials it gets even more important so your future is bright! ;-)
But do I know anything more about metal? No! I run the IT department there.... Hahaha!

And damn! Working for F1! That would look great on my CV too!

ahahah cool you're a metallist too :) ...
I see exactly what your job is :).
so I will add a precision to mine ^^:
the quenching furnace is gas (water / polymer and air quenching)
and my tempering furnace is electric,
sometimes I take care of an annealing furnace which operates under vacuum with nitrogen.
so I make different steels:
-super alloy for aeronautics.
-HSS steel for cutting tools.
-aluminum tubes for jet fighters .
-and for 2 and a half years, titanium (dentist, surgery, car parts).
-and zirconium (very hard to work).
Of course everything that is control hardness / pyrometry control / geometry control ...
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 7:15 AM, PDK said:

hello everyone :)

I had posted on the old site, my job.
my job consists in treating metal parts in a heat treatment + quenching furnace and in a tempering furnace.
I work for nuclear / military / aviation and sometimes for formula 1 / rally ...
all the pieces I do have a minimum 40-year follow-up, so my name too ...

I have friends who (in various applications) smelted and forged. Male and female! That was a great little education just hanging with them and diving into a project from time to time. It's a tricky thing too and I respect the heck out of it! Fun experience!

On the flip side, I also have a friend who runs a big recycling/fabrication corp. That being the case, my friend was able to personally walk me through the whole unrestricted ball of wax. It was a whole new world for me and I will never forget it. 

Some of that material would be put through plasma cutter stations that each had pre-loaded specifications for cutting patterns. An easy to recognize example of a typical pattern cut would be the metal cases for your stereo tuner/receiver c/o the ventilation slots. They did that and other type projects. It was really a great thing to see first hand. I'm not too proud to say that the plasma cutters were a lot of fun to watch man! WOW!

THEN, you have the I-beams/sheet/bar-rod metals that could be raw or, simi-treated(?). They had liquid vats for some things but, we never got too close to those for some reason (possible chemical hazard area?).

Then there is what you do: Heat treatment! I have never personally seen that first hand but, I know a tiny little bit about it. You take those various metals, in whatever form/design and, you make them STRONGER through the heat process! I don't know but, common sense dictates to me that, by default, heat treatments on your scale means that you are dealing with LOTS of various grade metals which also means various degrees of molecular compounds & structures that are being heated and cooled. Those structures change with temps so, YOU maintain the proper balance of all of those environments to produce a superior product! Like a conductor of a symphony - you keep all of these individual components in line that ultimately yields something greater than the sum of it's parts. Pretty cool!

Without the heat treatment processes, metals all around the globe would not function properly. It's important. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

It's clear that metal manufacturing  make up a great deal of our industries, and it's always fun to see where it pops up.
Like PryD being deeply into heat treatment, who would expected that!

The most interesting process I have seen to date was explosion welding. One of our clients uses it to weld copper to steel in an explosion bonding process, and produces jet engine outer casings (the front inlet ring) in an explosion forming process. It's insanely brutal, but quite satisfying to witness.

Sometimes it takes me too nice places too. Another of our clients specializes in copper welding, maintaining the conductors that drive a *huge* electric arc furnace. These conductors carry 1000's of amps and are hollow so they can be cooled from within. Seeing such an furnace in action is a quite humbling experience...

But again, i'm not there for my knowledge of metals, but being a trained programmer I am usually always involved programming the equipment when WPS's come in play.

And when it comes to music, I'm also a big metal fan...! :D

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 3:42 PM, Bier said:

Ha ha ! Dude, that's what's up! I don't qualify for the bonus round when it comes to this stuff but it sure is an adventure for me to delve into the world of BIG BOY TOYS/MACHINES especially when you actually meet/participate with people you know who truly do have a handle on those things no matter what they are! That just makes it more fun man. I seem to learn more that way. They are also great sources for information if you have questions.  

Now... who wants to talk about taking 6 to 10 Chevy Impala steering wheel airbags and setting them all off at the same time while encased within an empty 50 gal drum or, an old washing machine? WOOF! You had better stand back for that one! You big kids should give a that once-go sometime. Okay, okay, maybe I should just stick to metal. Who knows what ideas others may get!

Edited by AE_Centrifuge
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Ets|Members

here are some pictures of a spindle from a forging machine.

I spray a fluorescent spray, then I magnetize it so that the magnetic field deposits magnetic liquor on the cracks or other defects ...

then I put the environment under UVA black light, to see the cracks

IMG_20211125_174927_373.jpg

IMG_20211125_183744_272.jpg

IMG_20211125_183754_225.jpg

• Like 4

• Ets|Members

Very cool. I'm more familiar with destructive testing of samples rather than non destructive testing (Applied physicist). So thanks for the pictures, always nice to have an actual image with it. The blueish specks on the surfaces: Are they just scratches on the fluorescent spray from handling ? Or is this already an indication of present defects?

Is the image of pipe something that is similar to what you would be seeing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_particle_inspection   or is this method something entirely else?

If a part is faulty do you scrap it in its entirety or do you weld the cracks (and start heat treatment again)?

• Like 2

COOL!

23 hours ago, PDK said:

here are some pictures of a spindle from a forging machine.

I spray a fluorescent spray, then I magnetize it so that the magnetic field deposits magnetic liquor on the cracks or other defects ...

then I put the environment under UVA black light, to see the cracks

So, the magnetic liquor fills any hairline cracks and "seals" during the magnetizing process or, they just make visible the imperfections that you correct via magnetic fusion?

What machine or, maybe I should say, do you use an electro-magnetic device to get the magnetic activity that you need for each inspection process? If so, is that in a boxed environment (encased) or, do you apply feeds directly to that item in an open environment?

Stress tests:  I would imagine that stress tests can yet again produce (after another closer UVA inspection) stress fractures that you would have to trace down then, overcome as well?

17 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If a part is faulty do you scrap it in its entirety or do you weld the cracks (and start heat treatment again)?

That's a good question! At what point do you draw the line in the sand between FIX IT and DITCH IT?

Is this a stress fracture >>>

Stress Fracture_maybe.png

• Like 1

I love to try and understand how things work and, that explains a lot. Thanks man. I wonder if anyone else realizes the just how many times you have to do that to get JUST THE RIGHT form and structure for one unit? Like you said,

On 9/29/2021 at 7:15 AM, PDK said:

Fucking Aye!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1