Throwing in the towel...

• Staff

well guys after six long years of being a Windows 7 holdout, i am finally giving up and i'm erasing and upgrading my windows partition to Windows 10.

i really love Windows 7 and if i could i would be on it for much longer since i loathe Windows 10 to hell and beyond, but i have to endure the Windows OS because i need iTunes for managing my (and others in the family) Apple Mobile Devices (iPhones/iPads) on my computer.

and because apple dropped iTunes support for Windows 7, (and other vendors are killing software support as well) it is now infeasible for me to stay on this OS.

so i am beginning the process of transitioning

1. Back up my computer, including my gamesaves, documents, projects, and digital materials as well as do the same on my ubuntu partition.
  2. Erase everything, both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 20.04.0 LTS, and clean-install Windows 10 and install Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS.
  3. Reconfigure both systems (and install drivers).
  4. Reinstall and reconfigure my programs.
  5. Modify the fuck out of Windows 10, neutering all the bullshit i don't like or want and add the shit that i do want.
  6. Restore data and check to make sure everything works.

Until i am done setting everything up on Windows 10 and a new install of Ubuntu, i will not be on the server.

this could take some time, hopefully around 3 days. keep things cool on the server guys!

p.s. if you are wondering why i'm also deleting Ubuntu and reinstalling, its because the GRUB bootloader will be overwritten by Windows Boot Manager upon installing Windows 10, so... yeah, annoying.

• Staff
11 hours ago, PsychoPappy 4 said:

well guys after six long years of being a Windows 7 holdout, i am finally giving up and i'm erasing and upgrading my windows partition to Windows 10.

i really love Windows 7 and if i could i would be on it for much longer since i loathe Windows 10 to hell and beyond, but i have to endure the Windows OS because i need iTunes for managing my (and others in the family) Apple Mobile Devices (iPhones/iPads) on my computer.

I feel your pain Pappy... Had to do it myself to about 8 months ago also due to Windows 7 support ending for my favorite tools..

I can recommend you the following blog by Chris Titus, to clean out your Windows 10 install of all unwanted components (telemetry/spy/commercial):
https://christitus.com/ultimate-windows-setup-guide/#what-this-script-does

Here he explains it in a video:

Just FYI! :-)

• Like 1

• Staff

thanks beer, and if windows defender gives me shit about disabling bullshit i don't want i'll disable that too.

i can live without antivirus since i never visit shady sites, but malwarebytes can do what i need it to do if i feel something is questionable.

• Like 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, PsychoPappy 4 said:

i can live without antivirus since i never visit shady sites, but malwarebytes can do what i need it to do if i feel something is questionable.

Then also check out the new Windows 10 Sandbox you'll be getting with it (need separate installation). Great for all shady stuff you want to test.

W10 is not all bad... Just takes some (no, a lot of) tweaking and getting used too.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Luis Enrique said:

I suggest you install Microshaft Winblows 98.

You can’t anymore with the new computers

and my game freeze times to times myself I hate windows 10

• Staff

1 week in and Windows 10 is already making me really goddamn mad.

i can't set file associations properly because windows explorer is a buggy catastrophe, i need to run it as administrator to beat it into submission. piece of shit operating system.

• Staff
1 hour ago, PsychoPappy 4 said:

1 week in and Windows 10 is already making me really goddamn mad.

i can't set file associations properly because windows explorer is a buggy catastrophe, i need to run it as administrator to beat it into submission. piece of shit operating system.

I have no problem with that...
What in hell are you trying to do then?

Piece of shit indeed, but it's not that bad.
Kinda somewhere in between shit and downwind a decaying  large animal's corpse...

• Staff

i'm trying to get notepad++ to open .menu files, but whenever i tell windows to open it with notepad++ by default, it doesn't save the preference. and when i do it a different method, windows explorer freezes on me.

i have to kill it in task manager.

i also want to use 7zip to open PK3 files, and i get the same bullshit.

i'm really regretting installing Windows 10, and am now having second thoughts.

i'm going to try the Windows 10 21H1 preview build to see if that fixes my burdens, and if not. well... then fuck it. - back to windows 7 i go.

• Administrators
  • Ets Probies and Friends
14 hours ago, PsychoPappy 4 said:

i'm trying to get notepad++ to open .menu files, but whenever i tell windows to open it with notepad++ by default, it doesn't save the preference. and when i do it a different method, windows explorer freezes on me.

i'm going to try the Windows 10 21H1 preview build to see if that fixes my burdens, and if not. well... then fuck it. - back to windows 7 i go.

Works fine here. The menu to notepad++ assignment. windows remembers after shutdown + boot.

Have this gnawing feeling that you have gutted windows 10 and now it doesnt work :classic_laugh:

• Staff

And once again the coffee goddess proves her superiority.
How long did it take you to do that?
Shit, I'm lazy to read all that, but I will.
I can't believe I read all that.
It should have been more accurate to ask about the meaning of emoticon expressions, it would be a better idea.

• Staff
16 hours ago, PsychoPappy 4 said:

Same here... No problemo at all.
I changed it by going to the properties of a .menu test file, and change the Open With property on this first page.

• Ets Probies and Friends

To put my image into a car analogy. I imagine pappy taking a look under the hood of a new but different car and wrangling several parts from the engine and throwing them over his shoulder after deeming them unnecessary. Then closing the hood and sitting behind the wheel, turning over the key and the car won't start. Followed by getting out of the car, slamming the door and screaming THIS CAR IS A PIECE OF SHIT. IT CAN'T EVEN START. MY OLD CAR WAS WAY BETTER.

• Staff

Well napes, i returned that car back to the dealer, said "FUCK YOU" and started driving my old car again.

in other words, i went back to Windows 7, it's just not worth the aggravation. i'll try it again another time.

i didn't do much to Windows 10, i did not wrangle with the registry or those other fixer-uppers.

i just turn some shit off and set the prefs to my standard liking, and it's not working right. Explorer SHOULD NOT FREEZE when trying to set my file associations.

and when i tried the Windows 10 Preview build, (i did not modify it at all) when i clicked on OS Build info, it did not respond at all. and that prompted me to just go back to Windows 7, and i've been happier ever since.

Fuck Apple too, they can take iTunes 12.11 and shove it up their ass, i'll stick with the old version for now. but when that's no-longer feasible, libimobiledevice.

• Haha 1