Google/YouTube/FB Observations, Revelations and Alternatives for Video Posts and File Storage

AE_Centrifuge

GOOGLE!
Am I the only person who has noticed that Google 'searches' have gone to the dogs? It so bad now that I actually remember Google being better at searches YEARS ago and now it's just the opposite. That's shocking! They are moving in reverse dude!

For instance.
Let's pretend that that Kate/Two Minute Hate/Bier and myself all got together and wanted to search the EXACT same thing at the exact same time on Google. We each agree to use the exact same search words. Exactly! With the exact same search words, we will each yield totally different results and most of which often display things that are 100% UNRELATED and totally irrelevant to the simple, to-the-point word searches. They try to lead you to "sales" links etc as well. My friends, Google has SOLD OUT! 

VIDEO UPLOADS TO YOUTUBE & FACEBOOK ARE A JOKE! 
WHY SHOULD I EVEN BOTHER WITH THEM ANYMORE?

Most people that I've spoken to have always seen YouTube as a way to upload ANY video clips that they have as a way of storing and/or sharing clips via URL's. It's a file dump for most folks. Nothing wrong with that -right?  THAT'S THE MAIN REASON PEOPLE USE IT. They would like to upload/store and then post material that they in turn can post for friends and such. It has NOTHING to do with money or 'likes' at all. They just want to send s URL to their pals or, social media feed!  
Uploads to YouTube are a crap shoot -at best. Even the most basic of things. That's pretty much like F.B. except I think F.B. is even worse than YouTube is. 

My Facebook Experience:
There was one video that I created with MY OWN MATERIAL but, FB would not post it.  A man from Saudi Arabia claimed "ownership" of MY MATERIAL!! The video was "refused" based upon such "claim" nonsense.  I filed protest complaint after protest complaint to F.B. and their justifications for "claims on material" is supremely ridiculous. I was furious and ready for war about that one. "WTF -is- THIS?!?!" I fought for over one month with Facebook on that issue alone. Who cares about the damn video anymore. This is about reality and principality. I was refused the ability to post in the end. THAT'S the day I threw up my middle finger up at Facebook for good. Suck it Zuckerburg!

My YouTube Experience:
YouTube will, as we all know by now, refuse, restrict or "privatize" your videos uploads c/o so called 'copyright restrictions' and such. What a laugh. More over it's become a huge hindrance to many users who simply want to upload material that has no illicit content, no intention what so ever of seeking monetary gain or "fame" from it. They just want to post it for their friends to see.
What's more, the very thing that they refuse your video for is wildly abundant and already pre existing somewhere within their very own websites archive. I checked on that and it's 100% true!
That's hypocrisy in it's truest form!

YouTube "Ads" -vs- my 0:35 second video test clip
As a test, I posted a 35 second video of nothing but Tee Vee station static. My goal: To see if YouTube will actually play Ads running for 1 minutes or more BEFORE the 0:35 second clip plays. Sure enough.  One made me wait 2 minutes before my 0:35 second clip would play. A week later I came back and deleted it.
THAT, to me, is the final straw and, in short, it's total bullshit and I am DONE wasting my time with YouTube.

We all deserve much better!

MY SOLUTION TO -ALL- OF THIS NONSENSE? 
INTERNET ARCHIVE !

I have used this service for years and have now come to realize that THIS is now my best option c/o  uploading and sharing ANY book/software/video/audio files you have without any restrictions on them! Internet Archive has VAST, VAST ARCHIVES that are not restricted and freely offered in many various formats for video,audio and/or complete file downloads/uploads.  It's all 100% free to use, 100% free to download and share. It's also 100% Ad free and the URL's work with most social media outlets too.

Conclusion:
Try Internet Archive for a change. Uploads can go from 50GB to 150GB per file upload however, you ARE ALLOWED to stack pre existing uploaded files with more data if you should choose to do so but beware. Files of that size can become unstable so, split those up into parts and that way it's stable.
In closing I would recommend to anyone that you look into Internet Archive for your future file storage, upload/download & URL links for posting. They also have VAST archives to browse through for 100% free downloads. It's quite an eye opener and very rich with information!

Signing up is free and extremely easy. It can be done within 10 to 15 minutes tops!

INTERNET ARCHIVE HOMEPAGE:
https://archive.org/

How to use the Internet Archive

Internet Archive Help Center
https://help.archive.org/ 

• Like 1

This was an interesting read c/o Google. There are 1,561 comments posted here!

This is a chat room and most posts are only 7 months old so, it has meat on the bone >>>
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30347719

My Question:
What IS a reasonable alternative to Google today?!
Any suggestions? 

Edited by AE_Centrifuge
I had a question for our members...
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Epic piece mate, and it reflects my thoughts about Google exactly!

The irony is that when google started I was a real fan of it and advertised it to anyone who wanted to hear about it. The only more-or-less usable search engine in those days was AltaVista, and at the end Alta Vista was so laden with ads and shit that you had to actively search for the box to type in your search request. When Google entered the internet their search page was completely empty with only the search prompt in the middle, which was a godsend! Googles search page is still like is was when it started, so I give them credits for continuity. But it also made users not associate Google with ads.... Boy, do we know now...

Alternatives for Google:
For their services there almost no alternatives. At least no alternatives that are also free to use. You would also have to use many separate services from all kinds of providers for which you usually have to pay, or take all kinds of restricted functionality for granted.
The best thing you can do imho, is running your own cloud server with OwnCloud, FreeNas, Synology or something equivalent (there are a lot out there), but then you need to be technically savvy to make this work just as easy as Google does and don't forget installing, maintaining, updating and backing up...

For their search engine, I switched to duckduckgo a few years ago. I only use google when duckduck does not give me satisfying results which, to be honest, happens some time.

For Youtube, I use that in my FireFox browser which has the uBlock plugin installed. This combination gets rid of all the ads Youtube puts in front and in the middle of their videos...

Facebook I have never used, nor any other kind or form of social media... They and their users all seem to be not so 'social' as they pretend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

I see the Internet Archive as a museum and therefore there is no place for garbage, do not put garbage.

Facebook is a hole full of shit, get out of there I tell you from personal experience.

YouTube went to shit for a long time really since it was bought by Google.

If I have been able to notice errors during the searches.

• Like 2

• Ets|Members

Youtube is trash since all videos, no mather the lenght, have too many ads. I started to pay spotify because I got tired of those ads and also downloaded youtube vanced, although I know that app has many flaws

• Like 2

• Moderators

To add to the ads discussion, Google is planning for Chrome to ban all adblockers in the near future, so there wont be any escape at all anymore when using that browser.
Due to this FireFox is getting more and more popular again (which it totally deserves!).

So, be prepared to make a choice soon... Hanging on the leash of Google, who is doing now what Microsoft did with Internet Explorer 6 ages ago, or step over to a privacy centered browser which keeps you in control. Choose wisely...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bier said:

To add to the ads discussion, Google is planning for Chrome to ban all adblockers in the near future, so there wont be any escape at all anymore when using that browser.
Due to this FireFox is getting more and more popular again (which it totally deserves!).

So, be prepared to make a choice soon... Hanging on the leash of Google, who is doing now what Microsoft did with Internet Explorer 6 ages ago, or step over to a privacy centered browser which keeps you in control. Choose wisely...

SOLID INFO! I used to use Firefox for years. Looks like I will be seeking that option out again a.s.a.p. .  I tested "Duck" out. I have guys dredging my seawall because I live on the water so, I tested it very late yesterday evening before bedtime and was happy to see that I got the research results in a reasonable fashion. MUCH better than Google at this point IMO.  Such a simple thing that means so much.

The Big Picture: Deep down inside I can't stop wondering "what are they up to?" I mean, honestly. What are they REALLY doing? Why is all of this happening across the board and growing progressively worse in light of the fact that THEY KNOW WE KNOW IT SUCKS and yet, just as Bier stated, their future motives (now public knowledge) clearly dictate that they do not intend to address and correct these complaints/issues but rather magnify them with the intent to further limit and confine it's users? THAT'S A HORRIBLE BUSINESS MODEL and I clearly do not understand a move like that esp when support for their platform is so lack luster and growing worse daily.

I wonder, have Govt agencies and billion dollar corps pureed and sterilized these networks to satisfy their share holder bottom line?? Is this the 'reasoning' behind these crazy intents? These 3 services are all in bed together anyway so... hmm. I just wonder.

I also feel that, in light of their intent/motives and lack of concern about those who use them and have used them for many years that all of this will generate a new revolution in internet activity and options. They are essentially DUMPING on their users and, well, I personally can not think of anyone who enjoys being dumped on, complains about their being dumped on then, being told by the 'dumpers'to expect to be dumped on a lot more. Who the f*&^ is going to roll over and play dead for THAT?

There are A LOT of very smart and very capable individuals on this planet (many within this clan I'm sure) that can make that happen or, be a part of the team that will make that happen. I SEE THIS AS THE DAWNING OF A NEW ERA so to speak! Man At this rate it's not a matter of 'if but 'when' IMO. 

Edited by AE_Centrifuge
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Luis Enrique said:

I see the Internet Archive as a museum and therefore there is no place for garbage, do not put garbage.

Facebook is a hole full of shit, get out of there I tell you from personal experience.

YouTube went to shit for a long time really since it was bought by Google.

If I have been able to notice errors during the searches.

Ha ha. We feel the same so, it's good to know that it's not just me.

Going back in time, I've seen well over 100 Grateful Dead concerts and, I recorded most every show that I attended. They let you do that. They had a special TAPERS SECTION just for that right behind the soundboard. MANY of my recordings were seeded and co-transferred then, archived ON Internet Archive for everyone to enjoy. Here's a link to all of the bootlegs that are there https://db.etree.org/db/shows/browse/artist_key/2

Today (for what it's worth) I have decided that Internet Archive will become a future storage for my assorted audio/video projects as well as things like my large collection of research and declassified materials (FILES) that I have personally acquired surrounding CIA/NSA/Govt. top secret covert programs; Jonestown (Jim Jones) and lots of other mind blowing things; most of which I personally acquired through Freedom of Information Act requests and, solid source connections (one being a retired 'Agent' no less). It's a LOT of material.

So. through Internet Archive I can upload any art project etc that I have and post the URL without my friends and acquaintances being side tracked with ads and pop-ups. They can actually have intrusion-free viewing at anytime. This method will also allow ANYONE the ability to freely download that very material at will -to have for themselves. That's a pretty cool option to have IMO.  

37 minutes ago, Luis Enrique said:

No thanks, files from police departments around the world are more interesting.

To each their own. At least you research and seek them out. I can dig it.

Ever hear of FLORIDA MAN before? This is not internal documents but, this link has police reports about crazy s*&^ that goes on in Florida. 

FLORIDA MAN https://floridaman.com/

Edited by AE_Centrifuge

• Moderators
4 hours ago, AE_Centrifuge said:

The Big Picture: Deep down inside I can't stop wondering "what are they up to?" I mean, honestly. What are they REALLY doing? Why is all of this happening across the board and growing progressively worse in light of the fact that THEY KNOW WE KNOW IT SUCKS and yet, just as Bier stated, their future motives (now public knowledge) clearly dictate that they do not intend to address and correct these complaints/issues but rather magnify them with the intent to further limit and confine it's users? THAT'S A HORRIBLE BUSINESS MODEL and I clearly do not understand a move like that esp when support for their platform is so lack luster and growing worse daily.

This behaviour is only logical if you take into account what an incredible force Google is on the internet, and in real life...
They are already big enough and have enough resources to their disposal to put up a fight with anyone or anything standing in their way, be it another company, disruptor or government. And when it suits their need they'll use legal pressure, illegal pressure (all the fines that they got during the years everywhere around the world), or just dirty tricks (like in Chrome), and this is only scratching the surface...

Imo they are already acting like a corporate government on many aspects of life, smeared out over half the globe. If this goes on like this they will have infiltrated almost everything and everywhere in all aspects of life which controls our daily existence...

As it stands now we still have some choices we can make, but you have to be willing to pay for the services one uses and be able to install/configure/maintain these, because they will not be all so integrated like Google does it and usually not for free, but it's a price I'm willing to pay...

And there the biggest problem pops up. Even if one wants to pay for services to be independent, only a few percent of people (in my circle) have the skills to handle that for themself and if you take this into account then maybe 5 or 10 percent of the internet population is in a position to do this. For me that leads to the sickening conclusion that we are totally fucked, and the only strategy left is keeping these moguls under control with rules and legislation.

Until Google buys a country. Then they can make their own laws too...

Sweet dreams!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bier said:

Imo they are already acting like a corporate government on many aspects of life, smeared out over half the globe. If this goes on like this they will have infiltrated almost everything and everywhere in all aspects of life which controls our daily existence...

As it stands now we still have some choices we can make, but you have to be willing to pay for the services one uses and be able to install/configure/maintain these, because they will not be all so integrated like Google does it and usually not for free, but it's a price I'm willing to pay...

And there the biggest problem pops up. Even if one wants to pay for services to be independent, only a few percent of people (in my circle) have the skills to handle that for themself and if you take this into account then maybe 5 or 10 percent of the internet population is in a position to do this. For me that leads to the sickening conclusion that we are totally fucked, and the only strategy left is keeping these moguls under control with rules and legislation.

Until Google buys a country. Then they can make their own laws too...

Sweet dreams!

Well played!

15 hours ago, Luis Enrique said:

1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World along with other dystopias will come true in the future.

Orwell was right!

Just for the record I have been one-click downloading entire YouTube profile video-catalogs via URL's. One in particular was Apache helicopter cam footage of 30 cal and hellfire combat kills from combat vets pages. In fact I rip most ANYTHING that I find interesting and watch that outside of YouTube.   

Here's another one that I ripped. This made me laugh >>>

• Haha 2