Bier: It's Zappa Time (Big Time)

AE_Centrifuge

Lets have fun...

To kick things off, THIS opening selection is a really impressive and totally laid back LIVE journey into an era of Zappa's music that I personally hold as one of his most productive -as well as the music that Frank wrote being consistently well performed by musicians that all had conservatory chops. Ruth Underwood dropped out of Julliard to join Franks band. I love her!

73 through 76 yielded a treasure trove of top notch Zappa material such as Live @ The Roxy shows | The Helsinki, Finland 74 show (You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore Vol 2) | Studio Tan/Sleep Dirt ('Leather' material) | One Size Fits All, The Grand Wazoo, etc...

Let's get things started with Franks classical compositions, shall we?

Frank Zappa’s Orchestral Favorites | Recorded Live on 9/18/1975
Released on: 1979-05-04

Edited by AE_Centrifuge
Video pop-up screen n/a for some reason

A Business Lesson By Frank Zappa

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore VOL 2 THE HELSINKI CONCERT 1974

Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar:

Frank Zappa Movie: Live at the Roxy; L.A., CA 1973
https://tubitv.com/movies/468309/frank-zappa-live-at-the-roxy

A Token Of His Extreme 

Universal Music Group Is Now the Home of All Things Frank Zappa!
POSTED: Jun 30, 2022

• Moderators

Hehehe... This should be fun indeed, and educating to the general public too. Frank must never be forgotten...!

A fine selection indeed you posted. Will take some time to absorb though.. :-)
I got to learn about Zappa at age 14, just blind buying the Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III. There was something about the song titles that got me curious somehow, and up to this date it's still one of my favorite albums. One of the pieces on it will be played at my funeral. Can you guess...?

So I got to know him when he was in his 'commercial' period (Sheik Yerbouti, You Are What You Is). All the catchy tunes and songs he produced in that time sounded great to me... And then I started to pay attention to what he was really singing/rapping about, and then the depth of his message came clear to me. Fan ever since.

When I got exposed to his earlier more experimental work, there were also enough gems in it to learn to appreciate it too, even up to the Flo and Eddy days. Filmore '71... Mudshark Baby! And the best Groupie Routine!

I'll try to come up with a selection of my own favorites soon. Alas I'm a bit pressed for time right now to do proper research.

The fun will continue....

On 8/27/2022 at 4:48 PM, Bier said:

One of the pieces on it will be played at my funeral. Can you guess...?

If I remember correctly, it was Watermelon in Easter Hay.

On 8/27/2022 at 4:48 PM, Bier said:

When I got exposed to his earlier more experimental work, there were also enough gems in it to learn to appreciate it too, even up to the Flo and Eddy days. Filmore '71... Mudshark Baby! And the best Groupie Routine!

I'll try to come up with a selection of my own favorites soon. Alas I'm a bit pressed for time right now to do proper research.

There is a cut on You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 1 that has Flo and Eddie doing "The Groupie Routine" which is great ha ha.
"AWWWW! You know David Cassidy?! You Guys!!! You guys are our FAVORITE band! So are you in Hollywood long?" Ha ha

I think I feel where you are coming from. Let's just say that you left off where the Flo and Eddie era was coming to an end.

It all REALLY ended when Frank was knocked off stage in London >>> https://ultimateclassicrock.com/41-years-ago-frank-zappa-pushed-off-stage-in-london/    that put him on the sidelines for quite sometime. From a wheelchair, he made records and wrote music and had auditions for and rehearsals with his new lineup for about a year or so.  Then in 73 /74 he introduced the world to the new Mothers of Invention lineup. THAT'S THE BEST PLACE FOR YOU TO START. The 73/74 George Duke/Ruth Underwood era. The movie AND the cd/lp of "The Roxy and Elsewhere" (recorded live at The Roxy in LA 1973) is freaking great too

• Like 1

• Staff

Experimental Rock I love at that time all the bands were experimental, they all varied in genres even in the same song.
But I had no knowledge of Frank Zappa usually when it comes to that era they always talk about the British invasion and its importance in the music scene.
But where do I start, what song or album do you recommend?

Bedarius you are a man of many interesting things.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/30/2022 at 10:31 PM, AE_Centrifuge said:

If I remember correctly, it was Watermelon in Easter Hay.

There is a cut on You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 1 that has Flo and Eddie doing "The Groupie Routine" which is great ha ha.
"AWWWW! You know David Cassidy?! You Guys!!! You guys are our FAVORITE band! So are you in Hollywood long?" Ha ha

I think I feel where you are coming from. Let's just say that you left off where the Flo and Eddie era was coming to an end.

It all REALLY ended when Frank was knocked off stage in London >>> https://ultimateclassicrock.com/41-years-ago-frank-zappa-pushed-off-stage-in-london/    that put him on the sidelines for quite sometime. From a wheelchair, he made records and wrote music and had auditions for and rehearsals with his new lineup for about a year or so.  Then in 73 /74 he introduced the world to the new Mothers of Invention lineup. THAT'S THE BEST PLACE FOR YOU TO START. The 73/74 George Duke/Ruth Underwood era. The movie AND the cd/lp of "The Roxy and Elsewhere" (recorded live at The Roxy in LA 1973) is freaking great too

Correct! And I want it to fade in just before the last sentence: ...and quietly plays his last imaginary guitar solo....

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 1...
Just one of my favorites... From 'The Florida Airport Tape' which still makes me smile, 'Sofa #1 and #2, and of course 'The Torture Never Stops'. Don't want to stop there because everything rocks on it! And it's through these compilation disks I regressed back to the earlier work a bit easier...
And the atmosphere it breathes, and the quality of those old recordings due to Franks genius insight to record practically every(!) concert he ever gave in digital form, way before anybody else was doing that. No degradation over time, all still in excellent quality!

One size fits all, Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation I all learned to know them later on. Jean-Luc Ponti, Napoleon Murphy Brock, and ofcourse Ruth Underwood. With her lightning fast percussion probably the only person to play Franks compositions with confidence! Love Her!

Even at the end, when he got more and more politically active, the music was still great, but the lyrics got a little to political for me. It had less connection to the European fans because of that. But if you have heard all of the earlier work, it's clear that had to happen sometime...

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Luis Enrique said:

But where do I start, what song or album do you recommend?

Luis,

For the earlier period I recommend:
Filmore East, June 71
Overnite Sensation
Apostrophe
One Size Fits All

The middle period:
Sheik Yerbouti
Joe's Garage ACTS I, II & III
You Are What You Is
Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch
Man from Utopia

Also 'You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore vol. 1, 2 and 3'  live albums gives you quite a feel what it was to be at a Frank Zappa concert!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, BEDARIUS said:

i wish that i am there to play you this piece but for the moment i do not wisht it,  i prefer play supertramp. because beer is important for me hehe

George Duke was one of the best keyboard players in Zappa's band, I think.
Or was it Bobby Martin, or Alan Zavod?
Just to say there's a lot of great keyboard passages and solo's in Franks music too...
Check them on youtube, when you're bored... :-)

• Thanks 2

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Bier said:

George Duke was one of the best keyboard players in Zappa's band, I think.
Or was it Bobby Martin, or Alan Zavod?
Just to say there's a lot of great keyboard passages and solo's in Franks music too...
Check them on youtube, when you're bored... :-)

Thx didnt know George played with him, love George Duke he made many great songs. Reach out, Brazillian love affair and others.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Topcat said:

Thx didnt know George played with him, love George Duke he made many great songs. Reach out, Brazillian love affair and others.

They have been playing together for a long time. George is credited a lot in Zappa's work.
You can see him on keyboard and vocals in the Inca Roads clip in my earlier post.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/1/2022 at 10:29 PM, Bier said:

They have been playing together for a long time. George is credited a lot in Zappa's work.
You can see him on keyboard and vocals in the Inca Roads clip in my earlier post.

Yes I saw him in the clip :)

@ BEDARIUS:

SUPERTRAMP SOUND CHALLENGE FOR YOU!

ITEMS NEEDED >>
1. LP (Record/Vinyl):  Breakfast in America

2. CD: Breakfast in America

3. Turntable

4. CD Player

LISTEN AND COMPARE THE LP to the CD! 
My Personal Pick: The LP Version! 

@ BEDARIUS:
You said that you played piano so, here's some stuff to glance over.

THE BLACK PAGE #1 (PIANO SOLO):
Originally composed as a drum solo, this is the piano solo version
The drum solos are on Zappa - Live in New York as Black Page #'s 1&2 if you want to hear those solos. The name comes from there being so many combined drum/percussive notes that the music sheets were black.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVqpxFBHAHc

The Adventures Of Greggery Peccary
Don't let the cartoonish vocal effects and story throw you. There's some crazy complicated music in this song to be sure! It's also pretty funny!
The 'Big Swifty' portion of the song even uses an electric IBM typewriter for rapid percussive rhythms that are tight-tight-tight. It's just great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymj5wcIhiY

Various ZAPPA PIANO/SYNTH/ SYNCLAVIER Selections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZUCHBgqJJM&list=RDdZUCHBgqJJM&start_radio=1&rv=dZUCHBgqJJM&t=15

@ BIER and TOPCAT:

Sooooo, we have some George Duke fans in the house... GROOVY!
By the way, Ruth Underwood dropped out of Julliard to join Franks band!  I love her!
Anyway, I have a couple of things for you guys to look over surrounding George Duke. Just some things I threw together that may be good. George was, in my view, THE best keyboard player that ever sat in with Frank. George had the conservatory/classical chops (training) AND a really great sense of humor as well. Frank really loved that about George. They were friends for sure!

Here are some clips that hopefully will make you think, make you laugh and/or twist your brain into noodles wondering,"HOW THE FUCK CAN A HUMAN PLAY THIS STUFF?"

George Duke on Frank Zappa!
George Duke talks about how he started playing with Zappa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERFUbX648S4

Frank Zappa - RDNZL (studio version)
Beautifully produced and so very complicated! WOOF!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlwLNcBD68k

FUNNY!
Smell My Beard (Original Version)
The Booger Man (Original Version)
Including...
-Marty Perellis (FZ's Road Manager)
-George Duke (Keyboards and Story Teller)
Re. Funny Moment On The Road Surrounding Marty Perellis
For fun, the boys had a routine thing that they did on tour called 'Moontrek' where Frank would just let Napoleon Murphy Brock and George Duke cut up and jive talk. On this night, they broke away from that and told a very funny story about their road manager Marty Perellis. 

There's a lot of stage/crowd laughter going on during this story.

There's a rule. A BIG rule and that is you NEVER give out the real names of groupies. While telling this story George begins to mention the gals but, in the background, just before he can say anything else you can here a "hey!" to remind him of the no name rule. George is then being fed made up names to use by one of the band members in the background which, is pretty funny to hear. Even they crack up. So, the girls in the story become Ms. Cool, Ms Jewel and, Ms Stool. 

So, here's George Duke's story and song about Zappa's road manager and his hotel adventures.

Smell My Beard (Original Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJqJd_WpKls

-INTO--

The Booger Man (Original Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ2CivShsgI

And now, the wonderful RUTH UNDERWOOD!
Rollo / Ruth Underwood and Zappa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrdjkdS_qY8

Edited by AE_Centrifuge
Forgot to mention The Groupies Rule
  • Thanks 2

• Staff

bravo pour ton interprétation  de zappa  et lol oui je comprend la page noir .           pour supertramp  .. j aime  tout ce qui vient de rodger hudson 

vinyle ou cd .. lol j ai 59 ans  le vinyle pour moi sera toujours une douceure a l oreille  ci  il est en bonne condition :PROFSoldier01:

• Thanks 1